Bitcoin is probably the most valued and most popular cryptocurrency that is available on the market. It is popular to the extent that some people confuse Bitcoin with the word cryptocurrency itself.
For those of you who still have doubt, Bitcoin is just a type of cryptocurrency and there are various other cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin. Bitcoin is not the only cryptocurrency in existence.
In this article, you will learn some really interesting fun facts about the most popular cryptocurrency in the world, Bitcoin.
7 Interesting facts about Bitcoins
- 20% of the Bitcoins are lost – 20% of the Bitcoins that are present in the world cannot be used. The reason behind this is what makes it funny. The reason is that people have lost access to their Bitcoins.
- Bitcoin is a legal currency in one country – El Salvador is the first country that has made Bitcoin its legal currency. Other countries are still skeptical about Bitcoin.
- The First Commercial Transaction Made with Bitcoin Was to Buy a Pizza – On May 22nd of 2010, Laszlo Hanyecz paid 10,000 BTC for two Papa John’s pizzas, which cost about $41. Now we commemorate the Day of Bitcoin’s Pizza each year. If those pizzas were bought today, they would cost more than $500,000,000.
- We Don’t Know Who Created Bitcoin – It is still unknown whether it was a single person or a group, but their code name is Satoshi Nakamoto, and it is estimated that they own over 1,000,000 BTC, as they were the first to ever mine it.
- The last Bitcoin will be mined in 2140 – Only 21 million Bitcoin can ever be produced. It’s built into the coin’s code or DNA. Right now, about 18.8 million have been mined, though as we saw above, some of them are already lost.
- There are almost 100,000 Bitcoin millionaires – It’s difficult to know for sure how many Bitcoin millionaires — or billionaires — there are because wallets are anonymous and the price of Bitcoin fluctuates, sometimes wildly. But according to BitInfoCharts, there are currently 98,180 addresses with BTC worth $1 million or more in them.
- Tesla used to accept Bitcoin – It should be noted that back in June 2021, Tesla for a brief period of time, accepted Bitcoin from customers to buy even cars. But, it was later withdrawn as mining Bitcoin had a negative impact on the environment.